Subscribe to the MCN Newsletter
Contribute Your Custom Content

HOW TO: Working with Water-Slide Decals

http://www.minifigcustoms.com/node/897

Article posted by Redbean

Discuss it here.

Thank you, you diagnosed my

Thank you, you diagnosed my problem perfectly

I just did 11 minifig decals and all are perfect. The problem was that I put a solution on the torso instead of putting water on it before applying the decal. The decal stuck to the solution. So now I know to put water on torso before applying the decal and use the solutions only after the decal is in the right spot...

You probably now what

You probably now what you're talking about.

I have no experience with Kam's decals so I've got a legitimate excuse for not knowing what I'm talking about :).

I must contradict Matt, when

I must contradict Matt, when I apply Kam's decals they must only experience a quick dip in the drink. Anyways, I believe I know an answer to your problem. Before you apply the decal, wet the surface of the torso (or whatever part you are using) with water. The water prevents it from drying instantly and gives you time to move the decal into place. Just be careful, too much water will screw up the process. One last thing, I recommend using tweezers instead of your fingers.

I think you problem might be

I think you problem might be that you have to let the decal sit IN the water till the back starts to slid off.

I wondering If I'm doing

I wondering If I'm doing the process of applying the decals correctly.

I bought a bunch of decals from Kam. I dip them quickly in and out of the water, and set it down for 1 min. While the decal is there, I apply the setting solution to the minifig. However when I use my thumb and fore finger to slide it from its backing, it seems to curl and want to stick to anything. I place it on the minifig torso, but it is at a slight angle. (this is where I need help on how to straiten it and move it to its right spot) At its slight angle it immediately wraps itself around the minifig and seems glued. I tried using a wet cotton ball. That didn't work. My finger seemed to be the only thing that could get it to move. However doing this makes for a good chance that it curls over itself, which makes it impossible to fix. Or it generally rips a piece while trying to move it a little bit.

Is there anything I can do to improve my skill at this?

A tare or it curling over itself happened 4/5 times of applying the decal. Thankfully only 1 of the 4 were completely demolished.

Well, water slide decals

Well, water slide decals vary in prices and depend on where you go.
It also depends on how much you buy.

I don;t mean to be rude, but can you please change your avvy, it freaks me out sorry, it was hard enough for me to reply to your message.

I new to mini fig

I new to mini fig customization and i was wondering:
1- how much does Water -slide paper cost
2- Is an Espon Stylus PHOTO RX620 a good enough printer for making decals

Thanks for your help.

Well, I made my decals, I

Well, I made my decals, I pretty much understand everything, but just to be sure:

I am going to get clear waterslide paper, I am putting a blue 'overall' design on a red torso.  Is that the correct method?

Hi, Works the "Brasso" also

Hi,

Works the "Brasso" also on a red torso or a green torso?

please send in a PM

thanks

-Jesse

Pearl~ Try InfraViewJesse~

Pearl~ Try InfraView

Jesse~ Double unlucky, just kidding. Can't you order some online?

I am trying to make my

I am trying to make my favorite marvel character, the Silver Surfer and I really need help because I have almost no idea how to print the decal. I'm not sure how to resize this to minifigure size if I can use it http://www.minifigcustomizationnetwork.com/howto/896 the first lego muscle pattern decal shown. Could anyone help me out?

No. You do not do that. You

No. You do not do that. You use a special spray that is actually Decal Paper Sealant. You use floor wax (or whatever else you're inclined to use) on the decals AFTER applying them to a minifig.

If your using an inkjet

If your using an inkjet printer you have to seal it first with some sealer or I think some people use futures floor wax as a sealer.

so i print out the decals

so i print out the decals and just spread futures floor wax all over the paper and then i can put it in the water?
Thanks
~CJ

How long should i wait to

How long should i wait to dry before putting the decal in water. Every time i but the decal in the ink runs off.
Thanks
~CJ

Thats strange toothpaste

Thats strange toothpaste works for me but maybe its just the brand or something.

Ok I did try toothpaste but

Ok I did try toothpaste but it didn't work, unless i need to use a certain type of toothpaste, idk, if anyone knows any other house hold items i can use please reply here
Thanks
~CJ

Some people claim you can

Some people claim you can remove the print on LEGO elements (there is no 'paint') with toothpaste and other mild household items. But most people here use Brasso because it's the cheapest, and most proven-effective way. You can always experiment with other things, though.

Is there anything less

Is there anything less hazards then brasso to remove the paint on the lego.
Thanks
~CJ

An inkjet that prints white

An inkjet that prints white and the Lochness monster have a lot in common, foremost they don't exist. To do that you need a laser printer, and even then one that uses white wax is very hard to find much less afford.

Okay, this may be somewhat

Okay, this may be somewhat off topic... but I am trying to find if my printer prints whites. It is an HP Inkjet 7300 series. If it can, how do you set it up to print 3 layers?

thanks damien.

thanks damien.

do you apply the sealent

do you apply the sealent before or after you apply the decal?

Which sealant? You have to apply two different kinds. The first sealant type seals the actual decal paper - making it waterproof. You need to do this once the decal is printed, in order to make it waterproof so that you -can- apply it. The second sealant type is that kind that actually protects the decal from being scratched or removed from the minifig. That kind, which comes in many forms (I use clear nail polish sealer), is applied after the decal is applied to the minifig.

I'm printing directly onto

I'm printing directly onto the waterslide paper, should I seal it right after printing?  It always smudges if I don't let it dry.

a couple of weeks! wow! i

a couple of weeks! wow! i use a inkjet printer and i only wait 2-3 minutes before sealing the paper.

Does anyone have a problem

Does anyone have a problem with printing color decals onto clear waterslide paper?  When I print it, I have to wait a couple weeks for it to dry.  I use an inkjet printer.  Should I use inkjet sealer?

do you apply the sealent

do you apply the sealent before or after you apply the decal?

then i would say put it

then i would say put it horizontal.

i know those, my mom has one

i know those, my mom has one but i really want to try making water-slide

I've never used smaller

I've never used smaller paper but my suggestion for easyness is just to go to a hobby store and pick up a Xyron sticker maker this way you just print on normal paper, put it through, and it's a sticker.

thats great because the

thats great because the program it came with is very weird and unatural. it thinks the only decals im going to make are for model cars and planes. The scale is weird too.

and how would i go about puting the paper in, my paper is about half the size of a 8.5 x 11 in piece of paper. do i put it in horizantal or vertical? Do i shove it as far back as possible?

A lot of newer people use MS

A lot of newer people use MS paint as a start, there are no limitations or regulations you have to follow concerning what program you use just use which ever one you feel comfortable with.

i got a decal kit for xmas

i got a decal kit for xmas and it came with a special program, but who's to say that i can't just print a picture onto the paper from, say, MS paint?

Yes lego guy.  Any

Yes lego guy.  Any micro-adhesive(or something like that) can be used to remove the lego decals(such as toothpast).

So what deathstickman said

So what deathstickman said on the first page is I could use toothpaste and end up with same effect brasso has to legos or did he mean something else about it?

FYI I have used products

FYI I have used products from decalpaper.com for many years with great success.  They make clear-backed and white-backed paper for laser printers and ink jet printers.

http://www.decalpaper.com/laser.html

Gary

on the website where I get

on the website where I get my decal paper from, it says that laserjet printed decals will not need to be sealed, as the heat from the lasers does that. Also, when you buy a printer, how can you tell if it can do underprinting?

I've actually got some in a

I've actually got some in a kit (A pretty cruddy kit though). Do I need to buy a new one for Laserjet printed decals?

Well the only reason I had

Well the only reason I had to use varnish was because I forgot to pick up some decal bonder at the shop in florida :)

Indeed. Whatever you get -

Indeed. Whatever you get - you do need something. When it comes down to it, we're still talking about things that are essentially paper and ink. They need to protected from water - or they'll be ruined. I'm sure there's plenty of things out there to do the job - such as DD's suggestion of clear varnish spray. I imagine you will still get better results with actual bonder, though - as that's what it's made for.

Yes, this happened to me

Yes, this happened to me too,

No need to go buy expensive decal bonder though, I use a clear varnish spray.

DD

Wait, so even if you use a

Wait, so even if you use a laser jet printer you still need a decal bonder? I think I have free access to a high quality laser jet printer so I'm trying to learn what I need to prepare to print.

Correct. But this is really

Correct. But this is really true, as far as I know, no matter what kind of printer you have. You need a spray to protect the decals when they get wet, otherwise they'll be ruined, as you have observed. I'm surprised nothing of the sort came with your decal set.

You have an Inkjet printer I

You have an Inkjet printer I assume. You need a decal bonder. It mainly comes in an aerosol spray can. That waterproofs the decal for when you dip it.

I just tried excactly what

I just tried excactly what the tutorial said, but all the colors came off when I dipped it in water. :(

Wow, the decals that Red

Wow, the decals that Red prints out looks great, that white undercoating must really do the trick. I think i'll either have to ask what decal paper he is using, or better yet have him print them off, a buck or two a decal? who can pass that up!

EDIT- Anybody ever use decal paper for laser printers? I have access to a laser printer, and I am pretty sure it prints out white, anyone here know much about this?

I don't. I get all of my

I don't. I get all of my decals done by Kam or Red. I find that a buck or two per decal is more than fair for the quality of paper they use, as well as the much better results you get with their super-expensive specialty printers. But I imagine Kam will tell you what kind he uses if you PM him about it.

Just out of curiosity what

Just out of curiosity what brand of waterslide paper do you use, and where do you purchase it?

Yeah, it's a transparency

Yeah, it's a transparency issue. I imagine that's just a testament to the low quality of the particular decal paper. For that -particular- design it might be smart to just cut the light gray areas off before applying the decal.

I did print out the decals

I did print out the decals out at my home. I used the testors Custom Decal System (item no. 9198) I mainly picked it up beacause I wanted to just play around with waterslide without investing In a lot of paper at once. By color distortion I mean things like this:

<------------Clickage!

All that you see that is kingd of light blue was once a gray that matched his main torso. When applied to the decal it darkens a lot just beacuse my so called white decal paper is still semi transperent after the backing has come off.

This is the decal before applied:

Anyways it is rather annoying as none of me decals print and are applied as their true colors.