Community Forums
Subscribe to the MCN Newsletter
Contribute Your Custom Content

HOW TO: Working with Water-Slide Decals

http://www.minifigcustoms.com/node/897

Article posted by Redbean

Discuss it here.

I'm not sure what people

I'm not sure what people mean by colour distortion. Were the decals purchased from Red/Kam, or printed at home? If they were printed at home - did you underprint the decal with white (NOT 'did you print them on white decal paper')? I've never had trouble with colour distortion, and I have more than one decal that's been printed by Red for me which I've applied to alternate torso colours than what he uses.

For instance, his Aragorn-Ranger decal was made, by Red, on a dark grey background. I put it on a green one:

And I put his Formidable Warrior decal on a red torso, rather than what it was intended to go on:

Does anyone have pictures of this colour distortion problem? Even if not - provide more details about what materials you used, etc.

With a clear decal, do the

With a clear decal, do the colors come out a little faded?

Nope, but they will be a little transparent.

Does anyone have issues with color distortion?

Yes, but it only darkens a little and that's if I apply it to a differant color torso, if it is a red decal it would be best to apply it to a red torso, other than say, a black one, all-in-all it doesn't really bother me.

With a clear decal, do the

With a clear decal, do the colors come out a little faded?

Does anyone have issues with

Does anyone have issues with color distortion? I have been very frustrated with my many unsuccessful attempts. My white decal paper is still semi transparent after being soaked and taken off of the decal's backing, and it darkens the decal when applied to a minifigure piece. I'll post my newest custom knight, as he is a good example. His decal matched the figure almost perfectly in color, then when soaked and applied it is darker. If anyone else is experiencing problems like this please tell me. If you also have tips to prevent this please tell me as well. This would all be very much appreciated

Well, I didn't really want

Well, I didn't really want to put the picture in my brickshelf, as the problem I had was a long time ago, and even though it still is happening, I have a simple solution of spraying the front part of the torso white first, but thanks.

And you're probably right about RBs decals, but I don't know where any instructions are, as I got them free anyway.

VM, you cannot link to a

VM, you cannot link to a picture on your personal computer, you must first upload it to an image hosting site like www.maj.com or www.brickshelf.com.  Once you do this and we can see the pic we might be able to help you out.

If your decals are tearing then I think you just need to be a little more careful with them.  Read the directions carefully and follow them.  When I was just "winging" it my decals tore a lot too.  Then I took the time to read and comprehend the directions; no more problems.  In what step of the application process are the decals tearing?  Is it when you try to move the decal off of the paper and onto the lego piece?  If so, then you need to let the decal soften for just a bit longer.  If its tearing when you try to move the decal around on the lego piece then either you let the decal sit for too long in the water (meaning its too soft), or there's not enough water lubricating the decal on the piece.  DO NOT use the decal setting solution during this part of the process or it WILL tear; use only water.  Let me know if the decal is tearing at any other step in the process and I'll try to figure out what's going on.

As for the color of the torso showing through.... this can happen if a color is not back printed in white.  Printing white behind another color will make it look brighter and stand out more on a torso.  Bear in mind that some decal designs are made specifically for ONE torso color, and the appearance of the decal will change if put onto another colored torso.  This can create some cool looking minifigs but is also troubling if its not the desired effect.

There you go, it just goes

There you go, it just goes dark and you can beraly see the detail.What I meant by tearing the decals was that when I tried to apply the decals baught by RB, they just toar up as I tried to apply them, but I'm sure if I just added varnish, that wouldn't happen. And it is see through paper that I'm using, that may be of some problem.

I just don't understand the

I just don't understand the whole process. /: (

Then you need to slow down and read the information again. It's not complicated. Any 10-year-old could figure this out if they sat down and paid attention to what they were reading.

For me, Brasso does not work. :(

Impossible. Brasso works for -everyone-. Brasso is the same everywhere, and decals/LEGO plastic are the same everywhere. What exactly are you trying to do with the Brasso?

And if if there was white on my decal, and I printed it on clear decal paper, would it show up?

If you actually printed the white - then yes, I believe. Though it might be a little translucent. But for that you would need a special kind of printer like Kam has which can print white, and can use clear decal paper. Most people do not have printers capable of doing either one of those things.

No, it was crafty computers I think, and yes, that would answer my question I think, as it's see through, but even when I get RB's decals, I just tair them up, so I'll just have to paint the torsos white before I apply the decals.

Gotta be honest, Viking - I have no idea what you're talking about. This is an extraordinarily strange problem to be having. I've -never- seen a decal appear clear in the printed areas (if that's what you're saying) nor of decals reacting differently to different-coloured torsos. Something is wrong here. Can you take pictures of what's going on?

For me, Brasso does not

For me, Brasso does not work. :(

And if if there was white on my decal, and I printed it on clear decal paper, would it show up?

I just read your post, vid, and I understand what you said, but my relative has a printer that can print white.

I just don't understand the

I just don't understand the whole process. /: (

Well are you trying to put

Well are you trying to put it on a white body in the first place? Can I see what decals you are attempting to print as well?

No, it was crafty computers

No, it was crafty computers I think, and yes, that would answer my question I think, as it's see through, but even when I get RB's decals, I just tair them up, so I'll just have to paint the torsos white before I apply the decals.

I'm guessing he gave you a

I'm guessing he gave you a link to www.micro-mark.com . I'm also guessing that you have clear waterslide decal paper. Anything that is pure white will now be clear. Hope that helps and answers your question.

I have a queery, every time

I have a queery, every time I apply a decal to a surface that isn't white, I can't see the design, then I have to take it off and apply it to a white surface so I can see it again, why is this? I use a paper that crazy boy gave me a link to when I first joined, but I don't have the link anymore.

Read my article in

Read my article in BrickJournal, links are on the main page of this site

Kam

The link is at the top of

The link is at the top of the page,it should help you get started Kunai.

Hello! I just got ten

Hello! I just got ten sheets! I don't really know where to start...

ok..... but brasso comes in

ok..... but brasso comes in big cans but i only need a bit so its partly a waste

im only working on one custom for now and im not sure when else i will use it..........WAIT my sister has a brass tuba :)

its pbj time wrote:ok.....

[quote=its pbj time]ok..... but brasso comes in big cans but i only need a bit so its partly a waste[/quote]
Think of it more as a life time supply for 2.95 . ;)

Any metel polish and

Any metel polish and toothpaste. Brasso is just cheap, and proven not to harm your legos.

what else besides brasso can

what else besides brasso can you use ??

using nailpolish remover was

using nailpolish remover was one of my biggest mistakes...

Now I am going to get me some BRASSO.

DD is just warning you ,so

DD is just warning you ,so ya his yelling at you to save you got it =)

ok i will not do that

ok i will not do that (gosh,you don't have too shout) im new so i didn't know

NOOOOOOO! it will melt the

NOOOOOOO!

it will melt the plastic!

Please do NOT try that!

im wondering if you can use

im wondering if you can use nailpolish remover to take off the previos designs

BJ: clear gloss spray paint

BJ: clear gloss spray paint perhaps?

Oops! I thought you were

Oops! I thought you were talking about stickers.

so whats the range of cost

so whats the range of cost for water slid paper

A couple questions...Do you

A couple questions...

Do you have to use the water-slide decal paper or can you just use sticky paper?

For protecting the decal... Is there any other thing you can use?

babyjawa wrote:A couple

[quote=babyjawa]A couple questions...

For protecting the decal... Is there any other thing you can use?[/quote]

Well to anwser your second question you can use clear tape. It is a cheap way to protect your custom figures.

I meant after you use the

I meant after you use the decal solution. Like some kind of spray. I have tried tape before and it doesn't work very well.

I have a Lexmark Z35, its an

I have a Lexmark Z35, its an ok printer, but for decals, would you recomend useing a printer that you can plug a didital camra in?

I still can't figure out why

I still can't figure out why other printer brands are not coming out with cheaper printers that can print whites and metallics. Is the technology so hard to replicate to inkjet or something? Or is it simply the lack of demand? 

It is a microdry printer

It is a microdry printer that isn't made anymore, well it is sort of still made, the company that made mine sold the patent to Oki who jacked the price up to over $5000 and only sell it in Japan, last I looked.

Kam

whats your printer brand and

whats your printer brand and name?

mines a 'HP deskjet 5652'

Its is specific to my

Its is specific to my printer from a little Mom and Pop shop operation.  They actually make the film themselves. 

Hey Kam, this is off-topic,

Hey Kam, this is off-topic, but, what kind do you use?

Yes, yes it is expensive and

Yes, yes it is expensive and the kind I actually use is even more expensive than the micromark brand.  I tried to recommend a lower cost but still good quality film.

that papers pretty dang

that papers pretty dang expensive

Umm... You use water-slide

Umm... You use water-slide decal paper. You can get some here: http://www.micro-mark.com/ . That's the kind Kaminoan uses and I have but haven't got the chance to use yet.

I can't find the paper and

I can't find the paper and i'm from holland :(

what kind of paper do u

what kind of paper do u use. the stickey one or plane paper. plz someone tell me