Community Forums
Subscribe to the MCN Newsletter
Contribute Your Custom Content

Blank Figs

Hi, I'm new here and i was wondering where to get blank figs. I looked on ebay a bit and all i could find was figs that already had stuff on them. Do blank figs even exist??? I'd be really glad if someone could help me out a bit here. (I know this is the kind of question that your probably sick of answering so ... sorry!)

Oh, and am I posting in the right forum here? I couldn't really work out where to post.

Thanks heaps,

Hawk

On hands you'd need to use

On hands you'd need to use some kind of paint though because there are no orange hands from what I know.

Yes, that should be obvious; if the piece does not -exist- in the colour you want, at all, then clearly you would need to use paint. Thanks for clarifying, Radium.

were do you get minifigs

were do you get minifigs with colors not stardand?like orange or something.would you just paint it?

You find a minifig part in the colour you want (like a torso, if that's what you need) and use Brasso to remove the printing on it.

Damien wrote:were do you get

[quote=Damien]

were do you get minifigs with colors not stardand?like orange or something.would you just paint it?

You find a minifig part in the colour you want (like a torso, if that's what you need) and use Brasso to remove the printing on it.

[/quote]

On hands you'd need to use some kind of paint though because there are no orange hands from what I know.

were do you get minifigs

Old topic, but an ok enough

Old topic, but an ok enough question in my opinion. Bricklink.com -they have everything your bricky heart can desire(or close enough). -Pac

but can you PURCHASE the

but can you PURCHASE the blank minifig, if so where?

I just tested and u need a

I just tested and u need a pretty old eraser that's hard and barely really erases to erase the design on a torso. And u need more time than it takes for a head.

It does not take very long

It does not take very long Raziel. And yes it has to be a pink one. It generally works on heads as far as I can tell, as doing it on torsos does not work.

Like the ones on

Like the ones on pencils?

and if so how long did it take?

I found u can use just a

I found u can use just a plain ol' pink eraser to get the idesign off. Tho i have only tested this on a yelow minifig head with a plain smile on it.

Thanks Pete i'm goona try

Thanks Pete i'm goona try that tonight.

According to what I've read

According to what I've read it would seem that; yes, they were saying that you can remove the design off of an official minifig with toothpaste- but like I said what's the worst that can happen if you apply toothpaste to a minifigure? If it works and you manage to get the design off- wonderful! If it doesn't then you'll have a fresh-smelling minifigure : ) . I never tried that idea yet (I use some "brasso" knockoff which dulls the figure) and I'm not sure what toothpaste they were specifically referring to (quote from Kam: "Any microabrasive will work, thus this is why Toothpaste works."), but I'm guessing that any would work. Although talking "Microabrasive" toothpaste I would think of one of the types with peroxide/baking soda would be what they were refering to- but I don't know. Of course if Lamanda was poking around- I think she was the one who originally suggested the idea so maybe she'd be kind enough to shed some more light on the specific type of toothpaste she was using or if all toothpastes would work just as well.

Or you can just try it out with what you have lying around your house and see if it works. What's the worst that can happen?

I know how i can remove a

I know how i can remove a sticker but what i was asking was if you can use toothpaste to get the design off of an official lego minifig?

Hi Raziel, I don't think

Hi Raziel, I don't think they were talking about removing stickers here, they were talking about buying a LEGO minifigure which came from LEGO with the design already painted on it (one of the "official" minifigs as opposed to a customized minifig) and removing that design.

I'm sure you already know that [what I explained] but when I hear the term "sticker" I tend to think "a piece of paper with glue on it's back".

Now this may be off topic for a moment, but if you tried customizing a minifig with [let's say] an Avery sticker or mailing label (or similar product not waterslide decal) and you messed up or want to remove it, then this might not be off topic- try WD40 (or cooking oil might work as well); minifigure-wise, I haven't tried either but I have used WD40 to remove unwanted labels off of floppy disks and VCR tapes. WD 40 shouldn't damage the minifigure (but don't hold me to that since I've never tried it on then- it didn't damage the disk or tape though so there shouldn't be any probs for the minifigs).

JFTHOI I should probably like to attempt the "toothpaste vs. LEGO design" the worst that could happen is that I'll have a minifigure that smells minty clean ; ) .

(Now this is off topic- for those who own cars, parked them where they weren't supposed to and returned to find that the Police placed one of those stickers on the window (this happens alot in New York- I'm guessing other places as well)- scraping them off, when it works is a PIA, try WD40- it usually renders the glue useless to make it easier to remove the sticker)

-Alan

Wait so you can use

Wait so you can use toothpaste to remove the already placed on sticker?

I tried the dremel thing

I tried the dremel thing once..... used the lowest speed possible, and still the friction was so great that it marred the plastic by melting a dimple into it.  So, I'd not suggest a dremel for this process.  I just put brasso on a rag, lay the rag on the table, stretched tight, and rub the torso against it until clean.  Then soap and water to clean it up.

The best way to get blank

The best way to get blank figs is a can of brasso and a dremmel. enough said

aburnett001 wrote:The best

[quote=aburnett001]The best way to get blank figs is a can of brasso and a dremmel. enough said[/quote]

oh yah, but you dont really need the dremmel. I use a block of wood about the size of a pinewood derby car (SOME of you might know what that is [grin]) with an old washrag wrapped around it. Then I sprinkle a tiny bit of brasso, place the torso print side down on it, and rub. Make sure you move the arms back a little, or take them off (I dont because once in awhile that breaks the torso). You only need to rub for about twenty to thirty seconds.

I suppose if you were doing a BUNCH of figs, like upwards of twenty at a time, you may want to use the dremel, but i doubt it would speed things up all that much.

Brasso is cheap, reliable, and easy to use. It causes no damage to the figs. now thats enough said!   [grin again]

Actully, the best you can

Actully, the best you can get (and the most expensive) is the silver polish. I had some - so I thought that I should try it - and it turned really GREAT!

Any micro-abrasive metal

Any micro-abrasive metal polish will work.  You just want to test it and make sure it isn't too abrasive and over sand the fig.  Brasso is typically a cheap and easy brand to find.  If you are using a different metal polish you will have to check it as there are a ton of chemical polishes out there.

Kam

I'm curious, is brasso the

I'm curious, is brasso the best you can get, or will any metal polish work? Because it would save people some time if they just use whatever they have in the house.

Brasso is about $2.50 for a

Brasso is about $2.50 for a bottle that you are likely never to run out of.  It is available at Walmart and Target.  It is actually a brass and silver polish.  Any microabrasive will work, thus this is why Toothpaste works.  Oh and yes there is acetone free nail polish remover.  However chemical methods are likely to damage the brick, which is why I don't use them.  Brasso is the best in my opinion as it shines the brick as it removes the print. 

Kam

Less than a minute if you

Less than a minute if you apply solid, constant pressure. More if you don't.

how much scrubbing is

how much scrubbing is required with brasso?

like the number of minutes...

Uh, I think my small one was

Uh, I think my small one was a little less than $3  at Wal-Mart I think. You'll probably only need a small tin, so get the smallest one they have. It's deffinetly less than $5.

how much is a bottle of

how much is a bottle of brasso???!?

Uh, I don't think all nail

Uh, I don't think all nail polish removers contain acetone; it's just that the majority do. (At least, I swear I can remember someone reffering to acetone-free nailpolish once....) It could be that he's using one that doesn't.

Brasso is designed for polishing metals (like brass :)), and you can get it in cleaning aisles in grocery/wall-mart-like stores. If you need help, just ask a sales rep to help you find it.

Thanks heaps every one! What

Thanks heaps every one! What exactly is this "Brasso" stuff and where do I get it?

By the way, I didn't know about www.bricklink.com so thanks.

Hawk

ah but i use a q tip with

ah but i use a q tip with very little on it . also i use the wal- mart brand

ill take pics of the bottle and the process when i get home.

Good point Kam,nail polish

Good point Kam,nail polish remover is a VERY BAD thing for removing print on a minifig....it ate away my red torso.

as for me,I use toothpaste,it works great!

this is a kind of weird

this is a kind of weird method, but since i dont have brasso or anything i shave of the design with a sisscor or razor blade.  I wouldnt reccomend doing this, but it works for me.

-doc zoid

This is how I do it as well.

This is how I do it as well. Just scrape the design with a razor. It will end up being somewhat dull but very consistent.

-A

I do not recommend nail

I do not recommend nail polish remover, it contains acetone which will melt the brick if left in it long enough.  Brasso works great and does not harm the brick at all!  It is a micro-abrasive and simply sands and polishes the design off of the surface of the brick.  Put the brasso on a rag lay it on a flat surface, rub the brick on the cloth, holding only the brick.  The printing will come off much faster this way.  Be careful to place something under the cloth so you aren't also sanding your table or whatever your flat surface is in this case.  I triple up the cloth so there are clean layers below the layer that has brasso on it.

Oh and judging from your post you don't know about bricklink:  www.bricklink.com

Kam

ya it wil if you like SOAK

ya it wil if you like SOAK IT . buy if you dont soak it but rub it and wash it off your lego will be fine

No, not true  azreal. It

No, not true  azreal. It might be for the brand you use, but the two kinds I have tried. It starts melting it right when it touches.

Make sure you wash the torso

Make sure you wash the torso in luke warm soapy water and dry VERY well once you have finished taking the printing off. This will get rid of any chemical residue left behind from Brasso or nail polish remover.

Ok. Cool. Thanks heaps! Hawk

Ok. Cool. Thanks heaps!

Hawk

Blank figs do exist but

Blank figs do exist but instead of going crazy on bricklink ordering chewbacca and and an imperial pilot just to make a blank brown minifig you can just use Brasso or just about any other type of nail polish remover (Cutex works great for me) and then voilà you've got a blank fig. I put a little Cutex on a tissue and rub it on the fig and it works great.

P.S. If you rub on it too much it may harm the fig a little bit.

azreal i hav a qestion and

azreal i hav a qestion and its that does the nail polish remover harm the lego or does it work like brasso???!?

get brasso or nail polish

get brasso or nail polish put some on a cotton ball rub the minifig with it and it comes off